Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Yesterday.................


Yesterday was Martin Luther King’s Jr. Holiday. It was supposed to be a day of celebration, a day to reflect back upon what used to be and what is now. A day to dedicate ourselves to further advancement, a day to unite with all people in the hopes of building something better and lasting—Yeah, right.

I grew very irritated as I watched one politician after another pad his or hers so-called legacy, this they did in spite of the fact that the day called for honoring MLK’s legacy. I expected the usual suspects to crank up the rhetoric machines, but Al Gore and Hillary Clinton pushed me over the fuckin’ edge.

Dayum, the words that spewed forth from their mouths was amazing. Hillary is campaigning for the Presidency, I expect every time she has a mike to speak into to blow smoke up as many asses as she can, but dropping the “plantation” word on MLK day- Al Gore, what the hell was he running off at the mouth about. Al has the knack of latching onto to an issue right about the time everyone else has turned it loose. Didn’t he get the memo, you know the one the Dems passed around saying that since President Clinton exercised similar authority concerning eavesdropping, proceed cautiously? I guess not.


Politicians used to rise to the challenge when called upon to honor someone universally held in such high esteem as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. History is filled with lesser politicians delivering eloquent speeches on days like yesterday. I think what bothered me the most is MLK is a childhood hero of mine, and still is, and I would have really liked to see our politicians and activists act like they have some damn sense, at least for one day.


Later’

2 Comments:

Blogger Ripama said...

My major problem with MLK day is it has become LAM day (Look At Me Day).

Politicians, celebrities, preachers, charlatans and whatever take this day as THEIR chance to shine.

I recognized this when the 1st MLK breakfasts started. Unfortunately, I've never been to one because I didn't care for the people who organized or attended them. I felt they were too pretentious.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

01 18 06

Hey Bold and Ripama:You are so right! Ilike the ideals of MLK day and his MESSAGE. But all of the posturing is wacky. I stopped going to events in my s mall town a while ago cuz of some triflin' behavior. But anyway, he sure was a man with a vision and a message! Ms. Clinton has truly LOST HER MIND! She now hasn't a prayer in HELL of winning anything! I figure only Starr Parker can use the word plantation for political discussions. Everyone else cannot! ;) Take Care Bold and thanks for stopping by. I will put you under the sidebar under Right bloggers. :)

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? php hit counter