Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Global Warming................


Global warming, yeah, had another argument/discussion about global warming with someone yesterday. I believe there is global warming, but I don’t believe man is at fault. I believe the earth goes through cooling and warming cycles, how else did the earth emerge from the many ice ages that it has experienced. Whenever discussing global warming with people that believe mankind is solely responsible for global warming be prepared for mother of all rants.

You will almost always hear this- “There is a consensus among scientists that global warming exists and man is the cause.” First of all, not all scientists agree with that statement. Second, let’s look at the word consensus- Webster defines consensus as: group solidarity in sentiment and belief, general agreement. Well that sounds all fine and dandy. The problem is, good science is not based on group hugging agreements, good science is based upon facts. I like Margaret Thatcher’s thoughts on consensus. Margaret said,” consensus is the negation of leadership.” Yeah, Margaret had a set, metaphorically speaking.

So, we were supposed to wreck hell out of our economy observing the Kyoto accord, all because of a freakin’ consensus, Bill Clinton thought so. Good thing Congress didn’t. I was thinking how so much of our lives these days is being influenced by this group type of thinking/reasoning. That’s how you get concepts like- Animals are people in fur coats, or Guns kill people. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so serious.

Take Care

1 Comments:

Blogger James Manning said...

I was hearing that several major cities across the US are following the Kyoto Accord and are having some success with it. The problem they have is that environmental policy has to be a federal initiative because you can't pollution city by city. Seattle and Minniapolis are two major cities that I know of, but I think Denver and a couple of other cities are getting ready to jump on it as well. It is a symbolic move but one I think is worthy.

I'm sure about global warming, but when I look out to the Santa Monica Mountains and all I see is smog, then I have to think that humans are having some impact on the quality of our air. To what extent, I don't know.

I think someone needs to act on this because I don't think Bush really cares one way or the other about the environment. I will have to send you a link, but they are talking about dumping waste from chemical weapons in the Delaware river. I certainly don't think that is a good idea no matter how safe they claim that it is.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? php hit counter