Friday, November 11, 2005

Tofu Turkey..................................






I was online today, doing my thang, when I ran across an article of Shirley Jones. You remember the “Partridge Family “Mom. I don’t know about the rest of you, but growing up we watched the show on a regular basis. Shirley had that cute little short hair style, nice frame, hey , there were a lot of adolescent wet dream fantasies revolving around Shirley back in the day- along with Ellie May of the “Beverly Hillbillies”, Mary-Ann of “Gilligans Island”, and especially Barbara Eden of “I dream of Jeanie.” Remember, this was way before hip hop videos came along.

It seems that Shirley has teamed up with PETA, people for ethical treatment of animals, to make a video called “Life and Death for Factory-Farmed Turkeys”. In this video Shirley describes the extremes of factory turkey farming, including graphic images of maimed, dying, and dead turkeys. Shirley goes on to recommend that Americans eat Tofurky or Unturkey vegetarian roast instead of real turkeys---just dayum. What the hell is a Tofurkey? Tofurkey is a product made by Turtle Island Foods .tofurky.com
. They make roasts, deli slices, sausages, and jerky, all of these products are made from organic soybeans, and wheat protein. MMMMmmm… Tofu turkey, sounds yummy doesn’t it? Let’s not even get into how you can make jerky without meat.



I wish Shirley had found another cause to support. The main reason is Thanks Giving is my favorite holiday, filled with memories of family and friends, great food, it is the least commercialized holiday there is. Second, I’m just tired of aging stars and starlets throwing their hats into the ring for every two- bit bullshit cause that comes down the pipe. What’s wrong with feeding the little starving kids in the far corners of the world, or if they want to do something local, build a couple of Habitat Houses. Oh, here’s an idea, how about these aging stars and starlets campaign for the Fair Tax, that way the movie going public will have more money to spend on movies. Naw, makes too much sense. Anyway, I don’t know if Shirley realizes that PETA is not an organization that merely recommends Americans find alternatives to animal based products- they are adamant about Americas not eating anything that would lead to the death of an animal, whether it be farm raised or not. PETA’s position is of animal rights. Animal rights activists believes that animals are not ours to use for food, clothing, entertainment, or experimentation. I myself am an animal welfare type of person. Supporters of animal welfare believe that animals can be used as long as “humane” guidelines are followed. Growing up I watched my Grandfather raise livestock of all kinds. His concept was simple, “you don’t abuse a living thing”. If you want pure, clean, unadulterated truth- ask an Old man wearing coveralls.


PETA is on my list of terrorist groups, two spots above the NCAAP, right above the KKK, right under AL Qaeda. PETA and groups like them bother me because they are willing to take away a persons choice if allowed to. Yes, there are some inhuman animal farming practices that need to be dealt with, but when a group like PETA comes out against regular everyday people fishing with a rod and reel simply because they don’t believe the fish should be harmed- hey, that’s a bit too much, and in the long run they forfeit their ability to help change the practices that need to be changed.

So, as you go into next week, making plans and setting up your menus for the Thanks Giving holidays, contemplate roasting up a big ole’ Tofurkey. I thought about it-------- But, I’m going to go ahead and prepare TurDucken- what the hell is a TurDucken? Take a look, hint- PETA would have a turkey, duck, and a chicken about this.chefpaul.com/turducken.html

Later’

3 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

11 11 05

Great post! And you are right they are just a bunch of communazis who could care less about those who disagree with them. And I am sure you saw their campaign comparing dead and slaughtered animals to lynching victims, Blacks and Jews. Screw them! Besides, I learned in my anthro class how the human mind didn't start to develop into a device of reason UNTIL WE CONSUMED ANIMAL PROTEINS!!! Perhaps that is why they are so DIM WITTED!

12:54 PM  
Blogger DAVE BONES said...

Did you see Pamela Andersons Kentucky fried cruelty movie? It used to be streamed here.

Ideologically I am a vegetarian, I'd never kill a lickle aminal. ahhhh

Unfortunately I am also a hypocrite and enjoy a bacon sarnie or a piece o'chickin now and then. I wouldn't eat KFC though.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife is a vegan and mostly by association I am a vegetarian (not strict). I certainly don't begrudge anyone having their meat. My problem, which you touched on is the inhumane treatment and astoundingly inhumane conditions in which most commercial livestock is raised in.

I have absolutely no problem with free range, organic meats, or people who hunt as long as they consume the meat of the animals they take.

I have some issues with PETA, but understand where they are coming from. Its a strict ideology and they persue it to those ends. Just like many libertarians, conservatives and liberals.

Aside from all this, what I did want to point out is that don't knock the Tofurkey until you've had it. There is all the Now and Zen Unturkey (which includes a faux meat skin made from seitan). Honestly, they are damn tasty and the texture is amazingly good. Ate both of them yesterday for Christmas dinner. AAMOF I found your blog by way of trying to get more of the Tofu Jerkey that came with the Tofurkey. I was stunned at how good it is.

So just as you spout off about how intolerant PETA is, you do the exact same thing about a product (and by association people who consume the product) that you haven't even tasted. Oh how libertarian of you.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? php hit counter