Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Have A Happy Thanksgiving......

As my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, draws nearer, I can’t help but think about the past Thanksgivings of my life. They were all great with one exception, the Thanksgiving of 2002. That year was the most challenging year of my life.

The year 2002 will always be remembered as the year I lost the best friend I’d ever had and probably ever will have, my Mother. Late October of 2002 was the end of a 15 month long battle in which my Mother fought against a vicious form of breast cancer. My Mother always lived life on her on terms, and would do so even while dying. Born shortly after the great depression into a farming family (sharecroppers) in Rural Georgia, Her prospects for life would have had to seem daunting to the modern day social engineers that seem to be as thick as fleas these days, yet she exceeded all expectations. She met My father, a career military man, traveled the world, established frienships with people of all walks of life-and maintained some of those friendships up until the day she died, raised five great sons, further educated herself, and had some of the most eclectic interests and tastes for a country girl- My mother basically lived a hell of a life.

See, even though my Mother left us shortly before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving is still my favorite holiday because of the great memories and for the following reasons- I am so thankful for having been one of the five sons of my Mother, thankful for Her encouragement when I had doubts, thankful for Her teaching me how to live-------and how to die.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, I will.

Later’

2 Comments:

Blogger James Manning said...

Hey, I feel you on that. I lost my grandmother, my best friend, on December 28, 1993. It's hard but life goes on and we never forget them.

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend my brother.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

This is very moving. Both my parents are dead, and I'm so grateful for the parents I had.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? php hit counter